I. Jesus is alive so you can live a better life.
A. In 1 Corinthians 15:1-11, Paul explains the significance of the resurrection.
B. There are many reasons to believe Jesus is alive:
- Eyewitnesses saw Jesus alive and wrote about it.
- The tomb was empty. Some scholars doubt that Jesus is alive, but still believe that the tomb was empty and they cannot explain this fact. If the tomb were not empty, the Roman authorities would have found the body. Some claim that Jesus’s followers stole the body, but why would they lose their lives for a lie?
- Women were the first people to announce that Jesus was alive. If the story were fabricated, women would not have been selected as the false witnesses because they were considered second class citizens. Their testimonies were not allowed in court.
- A transformation took place in the apostles and they went from men in hiding to brave men who were willing to give their lives for Jesus. Witnessing Jesus’s resurrection caused this transformation.
- The transformation of James, the brother of Jesus, is another reason to believe that Jesus is alive. While Jesus was alive, James did not believe that his brother Jesus was the son of God.
- The conversion of Paul, who went from persecuting Christians to becoming an advocate of the faith, is another reason to believe.
- Generation after generation, people give their lives to Christ and become transformed.
C. There are many reasons why people don’t believe Jesus is alive.
- Some people want such a high standard of proof that they will not believe. Every reason to believe given above requires some faith. But some people will feel doubtful nevertheless and hold on to this feeling.
- They feel that because they didn’t grow up as a Christian, they cannot believe. This is not an absolute rule. Many people from non-Christian backgrounds around the world come to faith as adults.
- Some people don’t believe because they don’t want to live with the implications. They think: “If I believe there is a God, I will have to obey Him”.
II. A better life is one that does not end.
We do not normally look forward to dying. We think it is better to live longer than shorter. We feel a life cut short is a tragedy. But, because Jesus is alive, we can have a longer life, an eternal life.
John 11:25, states
“Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.”
Whatever we do not experience in this life, we will experience even better in eternity. See 1 Corinthians 2:9. Our eternal lives will be amazing. There will also be worship and this will be good. Heaven is a paradise renewed, as a better life than we have today.
III. A better life is one that does not end and is of a better quality. See Revelation 21:1 – 5. In eternity, the better life is free of suffering. God will make everything new. In eternity, the better life is filled with joy. God will be with us in a way that is real and intimate. We will experience something far beyond what we can image here.
Now, the better is marked by peace.
John 20:19 states:
“On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!””
This is an overall sentiment of well-being.
Romans 8:1 states
“Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus”. Our shame has been removed also. Shame gets replaced with glory. We don’t have to do anything to take our shame away because Jesus did it for us through the cross.”
2 Thessalonians 2:14 states
“He called you to this through our gospel, that you might share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Our failures are forgotten. We don’t have to have a righteousness of our own.
Because Jesus died for us, we can feel valued. God traded his Son for us. The resurrection of Jesus validates everything. The hope of eternal life starts now.
IV. Choose the better life.
Choose to receive it. Eternal life is a gift. See Romans 6:23 and Ephesians 2:8-9. Jesus offers this gift to all who put their trust in him.
Choose to live it. You can have something, but not really benefit from it.
Jesus is alive. He is alive so that we can have a better life. Will you accept him by turning from self to turning to God?