Dear CCC Family,
We had a great weekend. The Messianic Passover Seder was well attended and Pastor Fenchel’s teaching was insightful. We had many people help in a big way both before and after the seder. Thank you to those that helped by cooking, setting up, and cleaning up. You did a great job. Thank you to those that attended the second service on Easter Sunday. We had close to the same number in each service with most of the guests in the second service. I also want to thank those that parked on the street. Your effort helped us avoid the park lot hassles we occasionally have.
The introductory message for the TRANSFORMED campaign will be this Sunday. We will be adapting a series originally done by Saddleback Church and learning how to bring transformation to seven areas of our lives. It will truly be life changing. The Sunday after Easter is traditional one with low attendance. Let’s transform that and start the TRANSFORMED series strong.
See you Sunday!
PS Be sure to read below about The Complete Christian Courses.
Hollis Community Christian Center will have a Singspiration next Sunday, April 30, at 5:30pm. You can share a song if you would like. The church is located at 191‐22 Jamaica Avenue, Hollis, NY 11423. Refreshments will be served and an offering collected.
Adult Bible Fellowships at 11:30 am
Adult Bible Fellowships (ABFs) offer Bible instruction, discussion, friendship, prayer & service opportunities.
- He Chose the Nails. Every gift from God reveals his love, but no gift reveals his love more than the gifts of the cross. These gifts came not wrapped in paper, but in passion. They were not placed around a tree, but around a cross. They were not covered with ribbons but sprinkled with the blood that Christ shed on our behalf. This five-session video based Bible study by Max Lucado explores the many gifts that Christ provided to us at his crucifixion. These gifts include the empty tomb where he forever defeated sin and death.
ABFs beginning April 30
- Book of Ruth: Loving kindness and loyalty are attributes pleasing to God. Ruth had a humble background, but she found favor with God, who made her a part of the family line of King David and Jesus.
- The Complete Christian: See below for details.
TRANSFORMED is a church-wide campaign that will guide and grow you, and our church, by exploring what the Bible has to say about the essential areas of our lives: Spiritual, Physical, Mental, Emotional, Relational, Financial and Vocational. Originally developed by Saddleback Church. It will be adapted for our church.
The world is shouting for our attention with answers to our relationship struggles, solutions to our financial trouble, and explanations to our search for meaning. But the world’s promises leave us empty and searching for more. God’s will is the only answer that promises to TRANSFORM our lives from the inside out.
Here is how you can get the most out of the campaign:
Attend the next 8 weeks. The message that introduces the campaign will be Sunday, April 23. The campaign messages will start on April 30. Remember you can also hear the messages you miss online at www.cccnyc.org.
Get and use the Transformed Workbook which includes:
- Daily devotional readings for each day during the campaing (49 total).
- Study guides for all 7 small group lessons.
- Space for weekly sermon notes.
- Suggestions for further study based on each week’s topic.
The Transformed Workbook will be available starting nextSunday, April 23. The suggested donation is $10.
Attend a small group for seven week starting the first week of May. The small groups are important because there is more information about transformation than can be given on Sunday morning. Rick Warren, Pastor of Saddleback Church, will do the teaching on the DVD used by the groups.
TRANSFORMED Small Groups
- A. Tuesday, 7:30pm, 1309 5th Ave. (East 110th St.)
- B. Wednesday, 7:00pm, Central Park West and W. 110th St.
- C. Wednesday, 7:30pm, Columbus Ave. & W. 110th St.
- D. Thursday, 7:00pm at the church building, 5. W. 110th St.
- E. Friday, 7:30pm, 44th St and Queens Blvd in Sunnyside, Queens. Starting a little later in the month of May.
The Complete Christian
The apostle Paul said that he wanted to present everyone “complete in Christ.” Some translations say, “mature in Christ” and others “perfect in Christ.” The word “complete” seems to be the best. We will never be perfect and we can always be more mature. However, we can be complete in the sense that we are completely doing the things we are supposed to do to become perfect and mature. Community Christian Church is starting to use new material designed to make you a complete Christian; a Christian that does what they should to become mature. It is called the “Brave New Discipleship System” and includes a series of four courses that will help you know what a Christian should know, be what a Christian should be, and do what a Christian should do. The courses can be taken in any order and will become a regular offering at Community Christian Church on Sunday mornings in Adult Bible Fellowships and in small groups. We will offer a course for everyone in an Adult Bible Fellow starting Sunday, April 30. We are starting with Course Two because we think that best meets the needs of our church at present time. Everyone should attend! If you can’t we, will be offering the course again. The courses in the “Brave New Discipleship System” will be a standard part of CCC’s discipleship process and be offered on a regular basis. However, it would be great to be part of the start of the “Brave New Discipleship System” at CCC. You can do that on Sunday, April 30.
What I Read This Week
I read lots of things during the week. Each we I will provide you with a link to something that I found helpful. Although I may not agree with everything the author writes or says, I believe this article will be of benefit to you. Click the title to read it.
April 23 – TRANSFORMED Series Starts (Introduction Message)
April 30 – TRANSFORMED Small Groups Start This Week
May 14 – Mothers’ Day – Greg Stokes Speaking
You can give online at www.cccnyc.org/give-online/. More and more people are giving online by setting up an account and choosing recurring giving. Once you have an account you can give by texting the word “GIVE” and the amount to 84321, for example, “GIVE 25”. To give to the Benevolent Fund use the word “HELP”, and to the Building Fund the word “BUILDING”.
For the volunteer schedule click here.